It’s back to school time here in South Africa and educators and parents are looking for new, interesting material to help them teach. We have put together a list of tech products and projects that can help children learn. These are perfect for a school environment as projects, to help fit in with the curriculum or just to allow for children to really experience tech.
We didn’t think it was possible, but with the CloudGate Square, all PC needs are in one tiny box. It’s a way more affordable, Windows operated PC that doesn’t need a massive processor, chunky fan and big desktop box. It can be set up for most educational needs at a fraction of the cost of a standard desktop computer or laptop. By enabling Windows-friendly educational apps, it becomes a hub of learning. It’s a device that interests both children and adults alike, allowing you both to learn on different levels.
Contact us today to get a quote or purchase your own CloudGate Square.
Kano teaches learners more about how computing and coding work. They learn, in the simplest terms, how to build a computer from scratch. Its design is inspired by 10 000 hours with educators, artists and children. It was built to remove the boundaries between children interested in computers and appropriate resources available on the Internet. It comes with Minecraft as well, with tasks built into the game to teach children more about the world of coding.
It retails at about R1 799.
Lego is one of the most iconic brands of all time, they have helped many children learn and create their imagination and the blocks permitted. The Lego Mindstorms series teaches children how to make their own robot and they can then code it to do things such as walk, wobble and tumble. Lego was Minecraft before Minecraft, but it still hasn’t lost its appeal. For every step the robot takes or can of soda it delivers, paths must be carefully planned out well in advance to ensure the best chances of mission success, reinforcing some of the most basic concepts inherent to a proper programming mind-set.
You can buy it on takealot.com for R3 999.
NetSupport School is one of the best classroom support, orchestration, management and monitoring software solutions for schools. NetSupport works across all platforms, supporting teachers whilst leveraging the best from the school’s ICT system. The key features are as follows:
- Control: As a teacher, NetSupport allows you to control activity on each device that your learners use.
- Monitor Internet, Application, Instant Messenger, Printer and USB/CD devices
- Assess: NetSupport School serves up a unique Q&A mode for individual, group and peer assessment.
- Collaborate: From group leaders, group chat sessions, interactive whiteboard, audio monitoring and more, NetSupport School is built with the knowledge of the need for collaboration in schools.
- Whole School: A dedicated Technicians’ Console is also included for the Network Manager and their team so they can see all PCs across the school, monitor systems and perform remote management when needed.
To find out more click here.
At Dial a Nerd we can facilitate an IT support need. Contact us today for more info.