It’s winter, and some schools are currently on holiday, which both mean that the kids are home during the day. They’re probably not in the garden or at the park because of the weather, and, if you’ve got more than one of them, they’re probably doing a good job of grating on each other’s – and your – nerves.
Let Showmax help you prevent family squabbles this season by making use of the multiple devices feature.
How the multiple devices feature on Showmax works
- Using a single Showmax subscription (in this case, yours), two different shows can be streamed on two different devices simultaneously.
- This means you only pay for one subscription (that’s R99 per month), but two members of your family can use it at once, on different devices, in different rooms, or in totally different locations, to watch two different shows.
- A single Showmax subscription can be accessed by up to five different devices – for example, your smart TV, your laptop, your tablet, your mobile phone, and that old tablet of yours that is now used by your kids. All of these can carry the Showmax app (except your laptop or PC, which uses the web browser) for the Showmax subscription that’s in your name, at no extra charge.
- What this means is that you can stream the boxset of Game of Thrones, the latest season of Younger (first and only on Showmax) or Season 1 of Westworld, for example, at the exact same time as your kids are streaming the new season of Dora the Explorer or Peppa Pig.
- One thing to note is that streaming on two different devices will use double the amount of data, and thus double your data costs, but some would say this is a small price to pay for the hours of peace and family harmony you’ll be getting. (Read on for tips on how to keep your data costs low while using multiple devices.)
How to access Showmax on multiple devices
- Sign up for Showmax if you haven’t already (you’ll get a no-risk 14-day free trial). It’s so quick and easy.
- Download the Showmax app for free for iOS or Android on your smartphone, tablet and smart TV.
- Sign into your Showmax account in the app on your smartphone, tablet and smart TV, and in the web browser on your PC at www.showmax.com.
- Search for the shows your children love most, or browse the Showmax Kids’ section in the app on your tablet.
- Hit Play on the chosen episode, and give your kids the tablet.
- Kick back on the couch and browse the series, movies and documentaries available for you to stream on your smart TV at the same time.
How to keep data costs low while watching Showmax on multiple devices
- Download instead of stream: Rather than streaming your kids’ shows on your tablet or smartphone, you can download series and movies for them instead. You can download up to 25 shows or episodes of a series at a time in the Showmax app, and if you do this while you’re in a Wi-Fi hotspot, you won’t pay anything to download them, and the kids can watch them offline for free. This is an especially handy feature if you’ll be somewhere without the internet, such as in a plane or a car or the doctor’s waiting room. (Winter bugs, be gone!)
- Bandwidth capping: When streaming on most versions of the Showmax app, you will have the option of limiting your data usage. On your tablet or smartphone, simply go to Settings, and select Bandwidth Capping. Select Low capping to use the least data while streaming – as little as 0.3GB per hour, or Medium capping, to use only 0.7GB per hour. No Capping will use as much as 3GB per hour, so it’s really worthwhile to make use of this feature.
- Download at a lower quality: Showmax gives you the option to download on four different quality settings to allow you to limit your data usage. Download on Low Quality, Standard Quality or Good Quality as opposed to High Quality to save on data. Standard or even Low Quality are sufficient for kids’ shows, especially on small screens, and Good Quality is perfect for your own downloads.